Friday, November 26, 2010

Secular Puja

Although I was in Delhi for the last twenty years, I've never tried a Puja pandal (temporary accommodation, for worship) to give, as I had the impression that there is a deal "Bengali" (an ethnic group belonging to Western part of India). Unfortunately I have Bengali friends at that time, I realize that, as my perception was wrong. The possibility of a puja pandal was visiting on my way, soon after my move to my new place called KendriyaVihar.

During the month of October, few Bengali friends of Kendriya Vihar came to my residence and informed that they are going to organize their first Durga puja festival at our colony and invited me to attend the puja.

Since I was always keen to visit a puja pandal but never did so due to my perception, considered the invitation as an opportunity to fulfill my desire to visit a Puja Pandal.

On the first day of Durga puja, I entered the puja pandal with full of anxiety and thrill. The moment I entered the pandal, I was completely taken aback on seeing the huge Durga idol. I was totally mesmerized by its beauty. It was a breathtaking experience.

Lot of devotees gathered there and started offering their prayers to the idol. Few devotees were dancing in front of the idol with rhythmic sound of the drumbeat. I was completely spellbound on seeing the devotees dancing in front of the idol by holding the mud bowls filled with burning firewood in both their hands and also in their mouth. The way they were twisting their hands without dropping the bowls were amazing.

In the cultural programmes, artists from various parts of India showed their talent in front of the large audience. Little children of Kendriya Vihar were performing various music and dance programme, which enthralled the audience. Community lunch served was so delicious and it was an opportunity for the people who came from other parts of India to taste the rich Bengali cuisine.

The whole colony wore a festive look during the festival. All residents were participated in the puja with great enthusiasm.

After witnessing the events of the puja pandal at Kendriya Vihar, I realized that how my opinion about Durga Puja was wrong. Durga Puja Committee members' ability to accommodate all kind of people and involve them in the celebrations is really a quality that should inspire one and all. Though Durga puja originated from Bengal, it has metamorphosed itself as Puja for all the people irrespective of caste, creed and religion. I think it will not be an exaggeration if I termed it as 'Secular Puja'. I hope you all would agree.

(Mail your response to ramasamy59@hotmail.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment